Who doesn’t like craft in one form or another whether it be knitting, stitching, paper crafts, cookery or art. Most of us do crafty things in our daily lives but tend to gravitate towards one particular subject. I personally like to try all crafts so that one day I might find the one skill that takes over the rest of my life! Hence, the Dabble Days were reincarnated in 2014, which seems a lifetime ago as we have done so much since then.
Many of us buy supplies/tools for a craft that we think we may like only to find that we didn’t enjoy it and have wasted our money. One of the aims of the dabble days is to bring more affordable crafting to those who want to ‘try before you buy’, another is to get like minded people together to work as a group sharing skills along the way and maybe learning something without the need for paying fully qualified tutors. This is all part and parcel of the WI objectives and we are very happy at Middlesex Federation Craft Committee (MFCC) to have the opportunity to be creative, have fun, meet new friends, inspire others and learn something along the way.
So far the MFCC have managed to have four years of success, albeit run just to cover costs, we have raised money to be able to give bursaries for a Denman Course, long may that continue to be the case. If you have any suggestions of what you might like to see as a dabble day subject, do let us know and if it is cost effective and easily done within a group, it will be added to the schedule of dates at some point. We also know that individual WIs like to run their own craft groups and it would be brilliant if you could share some of your stories with us as it will inspire others to ‘have a go’.
Equally, if you would like a craft session at one of your WIs, there are some that can be managed reasonably well within a large group – please get in touch to find out more.
Have you tried a soap pocket yet?
- Use your favourite soap
- No need for a wash cloth
- Exfoliates as you wash
- No messy soap residue
- No more plastic show gel bottles
Download the Soap Pocket Pattern
Cow Byre Craft Exhibition – 21st – 27th July 2019
We will also be including some craft demonstrations throughout the week.
Download for full details: Cow Byre 2019
Craft Dabble Days – 2019
These are held at either :
County Office, Unit 3 7 The Green, West Drayton, UB 7 7PL (Members only & pay on the day)
Cedar Hall, Eastcote Community Associate, Southbourne Gardens HA4 9SQ (Open to all and payable in advance)
Booking is essential! – email@example.com
- Saturday 15th June – Embossing – Dry & Heat – Paper-craft – Cedar Hall – £8 (payable in advance)
- Thursday 27th June – Rag Doll – County Office – £5
- Thursday 18th July – Knitting Nudinits Characters, a bit of fun or UFO time – County Office – £5
- Saturday 17th August – Block Printing an introduction – Cedar Hall – £8 (payable in advance)
- Thursday 29th August – Poppy Production for Yarn Bombing – County Office – £5
- Saturday 19th October – Candle Decorating – Cedar Hall – £10 (payable in advance)
- Thursday 31st October – WW1 Heart – County Office – £5
- Saturday 16th November – Christmas Tree Decoration (Felt) – Cedar Hall – £8 (payable in advance)
- Thursday 28th November – Christmas Reindeer – County Office – £5
- Saturday 14th December – Silk scarves, make a gift – Cedar Hall – £15 (payable in advance)
- Thursday 19th December – Christmas Craft – County Office – £5
Printable versions of 2019 craft Dabble Days below:
Mors bags are reusable fabric shopping bags… made by you!
In a quest to get everyone to cut down on using plastic bags, the idea is to make a shopping bag to give away and, by using the Mors label on the bag it advertises the project, thus spreading the word.