If you know anyone in your WI who is interested in our campaigns, please direct them to the campaigns area of the NFWI website to sign up to receive the Public Affairs Digest.
To view the latest version: Public Affairs Digest March 2019 Issue.
This year’s total is the highest since the individual selection process was introduced, with over 105,000 selections cast by members.
To allow members to work on a breadth of issues, the NFWI Board of Trustees has decided to put forward the top two resolutions to the NFWI Annual Meeting in Bournemouth on 5 June.
Over the last decade there has been a massive decline in the number of bus services, particularly of those in rural and semi-rural areas. In order to alleviate loneliness, improve health and wellbeing, as well as promoting sustainable development, the NFWI calls on the government and local authorities to increase subsidies and work in partnership with bus companies and community transport operators to enable an adequate provision of services.
Cervical screening saves around 5,000 lives a year, yet attendance is currently at its lowest for a decade. The NFWI urges WI members to attend routine screening, to take action to raise awareness of the importance of cervical screening and address barriers to attendance to help eradicate cervical cancer.
- WIs should now consider how they wish their delegate to vote at the Annual Meeting.
- All WIs get one vote per resolution – for or against.
- WIs may give their delegate discretion to decide how to vote after hearing the speakers’ presentations for and against the resolutions and the debate at the Annual Meeting. Please ensure your WI makes it clear to your delegate whether you are granting her discretion.
- We also encourage WIs and federations to hold discussion events for members to consider how they wish their delegate to vote.
Find a selection of resources below to help you learn more about the resolutions:
- Detailed briefing notes, including links to videos – Decline in local buses and Don’t fear the smear.
- PowerPoint presentations on the topics – Decline in local buses and Don’t fear the smear.
- Quizzes to test your knowledge – Decline in local buses and Don’t fear the smear.
- A Frequently Asked Questions document about the resolutions process.
- A discussion guide with ideas about how to discuss the resolution in your WI.
- Printer-friendly versions of the briefing notes – Decline in local buses and Don’t fear the smear.